A urogynecologist is a doctor who specializes in gynecology, urology, and obstetrics. Your urogynecologist in Naperville may evaluate and treat conditions affecting a woman’s pelvic organs and the surrounding tissues. They may administer surgery as well. You can see a urogynecologist instead of seeing multiple doctors for your reproductive, gastrointestinal, and urinary issues.

When to See a Urogynecologist

You need urogynecology help if you have issues with your pelvic floor. This includes issues with the ligaments, muscles, or connective tissues supporting and controlling your vagina, rectum, bladder, or uterus.

If there are issues with your pelvic floor, it does not work as it should and may result in a pelvic floor disorder. Common signs of a pelvic floor disorder include:

  • Finding it difficult to urinate
  • Losing your bowel or bladder control which leads to leaking feces or urine
  • Discomfort during sexual intercourse
  • Fistula
  • Prolapse of organs such as your vagina, bladder, rectum, or uterus
  • Abnormally frequent need to urinate
  • Lower back pain

Some of the most common causes of pelvic floor disorders include childbirth, obesity, nerve damage, and traumatic injury to the pelvic area. Even though it is a common issue for older women, women of all ages can have pelvic floor disorders. It is especially common when a woman has had multiple children.

The organs in a woman’s pelvis are connected. When one of them suffers a traumatic injury, the others are likely to be injured as well. If a woman does a lot of heavy lifting, they may have a pelvic organ prolapse at some point. This is a condition where an organ drops from its original position in the pelvis. The organ can become significantly weakened. The problem can be fixed through surgery.

Another reason why you may need to see a urogynecologist is if your urologist or gynecologist refers you to them. They may suggest that you seek the help of a urogynecologist if you have bladder issues or lower abdominal discomfort and pain.

Your urogynecologist may suggest surgery along with exercises to strengthen your pelvic floor.

The treatment you receive depends on your health, specific condition and its extent. The options include:

  • Pelvic floor therapy
  • Exercise
  • Medication
  • Dietary and behavior changes

If you have gynecology, urology, or obstetric problems, seek the help of a urogynecologist as soon as possible. Even though talking about issues such as incontinence, fistula and pelvic pain can be embarrassing, they are normal. Lots of women experience pelvic floor problems, especially during menopause. Discuss the symptoms with your doctor and they may refer you to a good urogynecologist.

Do not assume that the symptoms of pelvic floor disorder will go away in time. Do not attempt to treat the problem on your own or without the help of a licensed professional. In some instances, your urogynecologist may suggest staying back and observing the symptoms over time. If the symptoms are mild, you may not require immediate medication or surgery. Regular visits to your urogynecologist will let you know the severity of the problem and whether you are responding well to treatment.