Massages offer people pain relief and are also relaxing. But all of us have had instances where the massage was not what we expected – sometimes the therapist doesn’t know exactly what to do to help. It is disappointing to come back from a session without any pain or stress relief. There are ways to find the right Massage Therapy Toronto person for the job.
How to find the right therapist
- Know what you want: Each person wants something different from a massage. The first thing to do is know what you want from the treatment/session. If you want pain from a specific region in the body to be addressed such as shoulder or neck pain, or if you just want relaxation. There are many modalities that one can choose from – knowing what is needed in advance will help. Since there are a lot of therapists trained in different modalities, they will know different techniques which can offer relief.
- Learn about the different modalities: There is a lot of information on the Internet about massage methods. If you want to feel good and relaxed, Swedish massage is good. If you want specific help like releasing muscle tension, etc. techniques such as deep tissue, myofascial release or neuromuscular therapy are always available. There are other therapies which are more effective in relieving tension such are cranial-sacral therapy and Rolfing.
- Your personal preferences: Once you figure out what you need and the method you would like to try out, the next step is to find the right therapist. Many therapists offer their services at a client’s home while others prefer that the client comes to their office. Do your homework by talking to different therapists and find out what they offer.
- Questions to ask: Before you pick a therapist, there are many other factors to consider. Some information to ask for is what kind of education do they have, are they licensed or certified, years of experience, and the types of clients they have worked with. It is also a good idea to check what modality they prefer to work in as well as their philosophy to healing. A Massage Therapy Toronto therapist who is motivated to help and passionate about their work will be able to help you heal faster and relieve pain better than someone who is in it just for the money. Since most therapists also have websites these days, it would be good to read reviews about each one before making a decision.
- Trying a therapist out: The best and easiest way is to make an appointment with a therapist to find out if they can help you. Many therapists offer 30 minute sessions too – this would be a good way to get started. If you like them and are convinced they can help, you can get another appointment with them to get your issues resolved.
Keep in mind that just because a therapist has gotten his credentials from a well-known school and has great reviews, they may not be the person to help you with your issues.